Promotion - Spice Market Sunday Brunch Buffet



In the spirit of Malaysia's Independence Day celebration, Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa came up with a BUY ONE GET ONE FREE promotion for its brunch buffet during the entire month of August. 

As a diner, I feel extremely pleased and honoured to have been invited to experience such a delightful buffet.
Although the price of the buffet is slightly over the top compared to other buffets, I was shocked by the sheer number of patrons in the restaurant who were sampling all the delicious food present in the buffet.
The brunch at Spice Market showcases an uproaring Pan-Asian spread with almost a mind boogling variety of food from hot Asian and Western cuisine to Indian Tandoori, as well as seafood on ice-chilled and craved roast.
Spice Market offers a wide spread of international and local cuisine so in addition to the above, I made my rounds at the “action station”. That’s where we get to see live cooking. 
And next, the carving station
Roast Sirloin Beef


Beef - Yes, the tender meat, fully permeated with the lovely spices. The jolly chef here spoiled me rotten by giving me such marvellous cuts – the slightly bloody parts & served doused with just minimal mint sauce & gravy.

I had to make room for everything else on the spread. Skipping the appetizers as usual, I dived straight for the delectable western cuisine. Just by appearance alone the dishes looked absolutely lip-smacking; thick, aromatic & explosively flavourful.
Left : Penne pasta with roasted tomato, spicy lamb sausage and sweet red pepper
Right : Grilled minute steaks with tabasco onions 
Oyster mornay
Lamb Stew
Top : Crumbed fish cakes with snow peas and curry butter
Bottom : Chicken souvlaki skewers
Spiced potatoes with pepper and red onion
Roasted carrots and pumpkin
Sweet potato soup
I always tend to skip the soups during buffets. Why waste precious stomach space on heavy soups & liquids right?
But not so this time. Both varieties I sampled that afternoon (
Sweet Potato Soup and SiChuan Hot and Sour Soup) was marvellous. Why? Because both soups were prepared from scratch & lovingly simmered for hours, in addition to using a very good recipe that produces the perfect flavour.
Next worthy- of- note items on the buffet is the fresh seafood. Buffet - goers are after all, seekers for value- for- money deals.
Well, you will get your monies worth here; as there are freshly scallops, mussels & bright red prawns plus yabbies!

Cold Platter section

 Selection of Sushi - with soya sauce and wasabi



Salad Bar - assorted salad with dressing and condiments.
The appetizers section. A selection of almost 15 different appetizers with diverse preparations - eg: Smoked fish, pasta with roasted vegetable salad, roasted beef, roasted chicken with mango chutney and etc.
Various cheese selection : Emmental cheese, Gouda cheese, Brie cheese and Blue cheese

Marinated mussels salad with chilli and citrus
White Bean Salad with Tuna
Roasted Eggplant
Black Olive Tapanade
Another healthier option - Bread
The noodle station! I was told the noodles are made in-house & yes, it was very good. The stock was full of flavour, the noodles springy with a bite.
Next, the hot Asian corner
SiChuan hot and sour soup
Deep fried chicken wings with local spices
Wok fried prawn with ginger and chilli
Wok fried beef with onions
Braised baby bok choy 
Fried rice
Need something light? The porridge station is here. Help yourself to some tummy-warming congee with its variety of toppings.
The Authentic Indian Cuisine corner
Picked up some tender, well marinated satay, tandoori chicken and fish as well as the famous cheese garlic naan while I was at it too!

DESSERTS. All the cakes were decent. Better than decent actually. Both the continental desserts as well as the local ones were really good.

When I started with desserts, I just couldn’t stop. Needless to say, I didn’t manage to eat much of the savouries after that.
Food was consistently and very quickly replenished. And I noticed (at least for the desserts section) that new types/selections were laid out once the previous plate is nearing empty, so that means more variety than before! 
Plenty of local fruits
Plain fruits too healthy for you? Dip them in this chocolate fondue then!
Chocolate Fondue Fountain. 
Great for the kids and " the kids in you" !

Out of all the delicacies you can find in the restaurant, my personal favourite is still the desserts. Among the vast selection of desserts, I love the chocolate fondue the most. When you dip a marshmallow into the chocolate fountain, and let the magnificent flavour explode in your mouth, I can truthfully say that it is 'The Moment'. I am someone who can be satisfied by just desserts for a meal. As a dessert lover, I find that the black forest cake served in the buffet is just heavenly. There is no other way to describe the satisfaction and happiness one gains upon tasting a piece of the exquisite dessert.

Ice kacang and cendol  Shaved ice with variety of condiments and syrups.

The buffet also promotes “ Ice Kacang”, a famous type of Malaysian dessert. As there are quite a number of foreigners who frequent the buffet, having Ice Kacang on the menu will introduce to the world the food culture of Malaysia. A Plethora of toppings for Ice Kacang is available, and patrons are free to create any combination of Ice Kacang they desire to satisfy their taste buds.

Another dessert to please Dessert Lovers - Pancake
Fresh fruit juice
Hot beverage counter

You need another reason to come here for the buffet? Well, for me COMFORT is another factor I look for when choosing a buffet venue.The restaurant has a lovely ambience and it is a favourite location for foreigners.
There is also a resident clown who entertains children while the whole family is enjoying the buffet.
Though I was there on a weekend, the pace is relaxed & sitting arrangements are fabulously spacious. There are many “sections” around the buffet area so just pick the one that appeals most to you.
Last but not least, what about SERVICE? Yes, I’m anal. I look into all these minor details. And I’m happy to report I’ve got no problem with the service. There were plenty of staffs on the floor to clear my plates and refill my drinks. Along the buffet lines, there were staffs available to handle my requests & any queries I had on the food. Even the chefs themselves were seen walking around & monitoring the food/situation.


At the entrance of the restaurant, you will find a Spice Boutique where you can purchase some exotic spices home.

Varieties of curry powders
Even with the many photos that I am sharing here, I still feel as if there are so many more that I could share. This scrumptious buffet totally knocked my socks off for simply being one of the absolutely best value for money buffet I’ve ever came across so far.

If you are a buffet lover, do grab this opportunity to indulge in a sumptuous meal you will never forget! 

Spice Market Cafe
Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa 
Batu Ferringhi Beach
11100 Penang
Malaysia
Tel : 04 8888888





Comments

  1. Superlong post.. but i like it.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there..yea,this is the longest article i've eva posted...full of photos actually..hehe..
    btw, hv u supported me by clicking LIKE on the link i've posted on Gourmet Garden's link??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ther! Wat camera u are using? nice shoots! and lots of picture making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehee...using Sony TX10 and Olympus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed a long post, good luck with the competition.
    RM80 is a surprisingly reasonable sum, given the stature of this hotel in Penang, and the famous restaurant this is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts