Triumphs and Struggles of the Second Trimester

When I’m writing this blog, I’m already 23 weeks pregnant. Where does the time go! The whole pregnancy is flying! Well, pregnancy has been cooperating with me for the most part so far. 

Most excitedly, WE FOUND OUT THE GENDER! But, being the tease that I am keeping it to myself, this is also code for secretly plotting our ‘gender reveal’ post. WATCH THIS SPACE!

A couple of months ago, I posted about my first trimester. So today, I’d continue along and share the details of my second trimester.

More Energy
In my second trimester, tiredness starts to resolve. So now I’m not crashing at 8:00pm every night. I don't have to nap like I did during the first trimester and I actually have the energy to cook dinner again. That’s the reason why everybody says this is the golden period of pregnancy.

Baby Bump
Started to grow a visible bump around 20 weeks. Since then, I’ve just been watching my bump start to show and to grow gradually week by week. I hate my scale. There is always no perfect number on the scale. Along with weight gain comes clothes not fitting. Yes, I am COMPLAINING!

Doctor’s Visits
Seeing your baby on a screen can be really exciting.
In 24 weeks, we went for Detailed scan (Internal physical form of baby) & 4D scan. The sonographer measured the head, the abdomen, the limbs, the spine, and looked out for baby’s brain, internal organs, genitalia, face, hands and feet, the placenta, umbilical cord and the amniotic fluid. It was a wonderful opportunity to see the actual form of baby K.
One of the most exciting reasons for having a 4D baby scan is the level of detail it'll show you of your baby. During 4D scan, we were able to look at the external physical form of baby. I’ll leave you with this cute but slightly bizarre glimpse of the baby in 4D.
Baby K at 25 weeks. Baby Koala was pointing fourth finger up in the air when the OB was doing a routine ultrasound scan. Luckily baby is not making a rude one-finger gesture.
Movement
In 19-20 weeks, I started feeling baby flutters inside my belly. Sometimes it feels like butterflies inside and sometimes like little fishes swimming gently.

Feeling baby K’s soft kicks is the coolest thing. They intensify throughout the second trimester.  I feel more and more movements from inside the womb. There is nothing better than feeling hiccups and tiny soccer kicks.

Those kicks remind you of the life inside. They tell you that your happiness is growing in your womb and will soon come out and join your lives. The baby’s kicks make you feel special and enable your partner to connect with the baby. Not just that. They indicate that the fetus is having a healthy growth.

I often wish I had a way of peering into the womb to see exactly what he’s up to. Another wonderful thing this week is that Daddy K can now hear the baby’s heartbeat simply by pressing his ear to my belly. Every time he tries, the baby gives him a little kick in the face trying to say, “Hello Daddy! I feel you!”

Belly
Towards the end of second trimester, as my tummy gets bigger and bigger, the skin stretches to accommodate my growing baby. Itching is still tolerable, sometimes (especially in middle of the night) when I feel itchy around my belly, I tend to rub it with my fingers but immediately control my urge to do that. Luckily it’s just mild itching. For the time being, I am still using Clarins Stretch Mark Cream and oils to deal with my expanding skin. I massage more on my belly, boobs, stomach, hips and thighs twice a day. This explains why the cream finished up so fast, the fourth Clarins cream finishing soon. I stopped using Palmers Cocoa Butter as I noticed little red spots on my belly after using it. Maybe I’m allergic to Cocoa butter and frankly I literally can't stand the chocolatey scent.
Happier boobs
Sounds silly…But the pain went away during the second trimester!

Nutrition/ Supplement
Bird’s Nest
I was advised to drink lots of bird nest soup during my pregnancy. I started to consume bird nest soup as early as 12 weeks hoping to develop baby K's beautiful, fair complexion and smooth skin. I know many people say that the final three months are for its nourishing qualities to the baby but the reason why I started early was to improve my skin’s elasticity, giving myself a glow and better complexion as well as reducing the appearance of stretch marks during pregnancy.
I never boil my own bird's nest because I know how burdensome it can be. From picking, cleaning & soaking to boiling it for a few hours. That’s why I chose Lo Hong Ka’s Cave Yan Zhan because what you need is just to take a spoonful straight from the jar in the morning when you first wake up and in the evening before you sleep. This is so achievable for the lazy me! Plus, the bird’s nest concentrate is produced from a complete half-bowl shaped of Imperial Bird’s Nest.
E-Excel Millenium
Millennium is a concentrated cactus powder beverage. I guess most of you are familiar with this product as it has become a MUST drink during pregnancy to strengthen mother and baby immune system. I consumed the moment I was pregnant (I drink more whenever I feel my body is heaty) and more consistent when I was 18 weeks. I believe in its WONDER as I had been drinking this since I was a child. It really boosts up your immune system.
Vitamins
I’m still taking the same vitamins (Obimin, Calcium, Similac, Pollen tablet) until during the middle of my second trimester, my OB suggested me to take DHA supplement - EPX. The Omega-3 fish oil consists of EPA and DHA. EPA supports the heart, immune system, and inflammatory response, while DHA supports the brain, eyes, and central nervous system. Both plays a substantial role in fetal and infant development.
Besides that, when I'm sniffling and sneezing from a cold, I will reach for a bottle of Vitamin C effervescent. I also take YinChiao tablets to treat a fever during pregnancy.
Pregnancy Milk
Can you believe I have never taken a single drop of pregnancy milk? Not that I’m intolerant to soy or gluten, I simply just don't like the taste of dairy products. I was a bit worried as I know pregnancy milk is surely good for health, what will happen if my baby doesn’t get enough calcium? Fortunately, I have found an alternative for that — Purplenergy. The Purple Buffalo Barley is a unique kind of wholesome grain which provides a high levels of fibre, protein, calcium and iron. Therefore, it helps to meet my calcium needs while keeping me healthy and energetic.

Diet
The diet front has improved greatly since the first trimester. And while I didn’t have too many cravings, DIM SUM was definitely my thing.

Skincare
Many of you have asked which skincare products I am using during my pregnancy. SKII has been my skincare routine before pregnancy. During pregnancy, I continue with lotion and SK-II Facial Treatment Essence to both my morning and evening regimen but stopped using the whitening series, followed by a thin layer of R.N.A cream.
Linea Nigra
At the end of 26 weeks, the linea nigra started to develop from the navel all the way down the abdomen. Since you can’t prevent the pregnancy line, might as well embrace it! Nevertheless, I wish the line would stay light like now.

Swelling
My right foot and ankle swelled like sausages during 26 weeks due to water retention. It causes puffiness on my foot. After 3-4 days, it was back to normal but during CNY, it swelled again (guess I had too much good food!).

Besides, I also suffered from gingivitis (gum inflammation). My gums swell and bleed particularly during brushing and when flossing between teeth.

DREAMS
And yes. I have weird, vivid dreams. I dreamed about giving birth to a fully grown child. Waking up in the middle of the night at a certain time…but I was able to sleep soundly after 16 weeks.

So, these are things you can do to take advantage of this trimester when your energy levels are great and you feel good.

Antenatal Class
We registered for antenatal classes as it’s really key to understanding what’s to come and helps us to make an informed decision. Nowadays, you can even sign up for hospital or birth center tour.

Make lists of baby names

Bonding
This stage of pregnancy is when I start really bonding with baby K. I talk to her, sing to her and sometimes dance with her in my belly. I also started reading bedtime stories to baby K. Every time I read, baby reacts to my voice and starts responding. I guess what they say about the unborn baby learns to recognise and remember mummy’s voice during the pregnancy is true. Feeling this baby’s kicks is seriously the most incredible feeling. It makes all of aches and pains and exhaustion and discomfort feel like nothing at all while reminding myself I’m growing a human that is clearly having the time of his/her life in there.

Daddy K is also making an effort to be heard, he talks to the bump everyday and baby K is able to recognise his voice too. 

Babymoon
On the 16 weeks of pregnancy, K and I went to Phuket for our baby moon. Little one inside gets to travel without a passport.
Pregnancy Shoots
Growing belly during the second trimester means time to capture the perfect mama-to-be moment with my beautiful baby bump.
Babymoon - 17 weeks | Sala Phuket Resort & Spa

Another milestone - 20 weeks | Pantai Klebang
Velentine's Celebration -24 weeks | Isabel
CNY - 26 weeks | Kek Lok Si
Shopping
Maternity Clothes
When my bump grows bigger, I often stare at my wardrobe and find nothing fits me. So second trimester is definitely another reason for me to buy new dresses.

Baby Clothes/ Essentials
We’ve tried to wade through all the unnecessary bits and come up with an essentials list.
Shopping for baby clothes is way more fun than I’d expected. Baby clothes are a million times cuter in miniature sizes.
Also, I’m so obsessed with Jellycat bashful bunny. This is the first gift I wanted to give my baby. It is so sumptuously soft and the bunny just has lovely long flopsy ears with a sweet expression. I tried to search around KL and finally found it in a baby shop.
This is the cute Jellycat bashful beige bunny I got for baby K.
So, these are all the favourite parts of my second trimester.

To Do List
I still don’t have a mattress for my crib, car seat, stroller, breast pump, you name it… All I have is some cute baby outfits and this adorable bunny from Jellycat that I couldn’t resist ha!

Second trimester was just being so fun! I get lots of rest and just enjoying our baby-free time knowing that it was going to change VERY soon. Sometimes, I even forget I’m pregnant as I am being so energetic! Only the popping BUMP reminded me I’m a pregnant mama.
Third trimester, please be good to me!

x

Comments

Popular Posts